Saturday, April 07, 2007

Getting Ready for the Move

Well, we're about a month and a half away from the big move to SoCal, and it's really starting to sink in. Though there is much to look forward to (new church, seminary, hot weather, extended family close-by), there is a lot I will miss:

  1. Much of my family lives up here, and I fear that they won't get to know my next daughter as well as they got to know Karis.
  2. I have so many great friends here, and it will be hard to leave them behind and move to a more distant friendship. I think this will be particularly difficult for my wife, who has so many girlfriends with children of the same age.
  3. I have a great ministry and church family here, and I will really miss Redwood Chapel greatly. Not everyone always saw eye to eye, but I trust that we all loved each other and enjoyed the fellowship.
  4. Although I could do without the rain, this is truly a beautiful place to live. I'll miss going into the city to spend a romantic weekend with my wife at a swanky hotel, the emerald green hills of the Dublin Grade with a picture perfect barn on the west side, the picturesque views from atop Mount Diablo, the 80 degree summer days with long hours of sunlight, the best wine country in the world, and much more.

8 Comments:

Blogger Leeton Lawdoc said...

I can empathize with you on each of those points. (The scenery behind you three in that photo says 25% of it all.) I've entertained similar thoughts about relocating, albeit hypothetical ones that suppose a mere half-hour's (or so) translation.

Speaking of which, I guess one thing won't change for you: measuring distances in units of driving time at certain times of day.

April 08, 2007 12:03 PM  
Blogger Vijay Swamidass said...

Hey, yeah, that is a great photo! ;-)

Speaking of driving, you'll probably miss your 10 minute (5 if you get all green lights) commute.

We'll miss you.

April 08, 2007 11:16 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

Thanks, guys (and if you didn't get Vijay's photo comment, he's the one that took that pic for us).

You'll both have to come down and visit me often. Obviously, you and your families are a big part of #2 on my list.

I'm definitely not looking forward to my 45+/- min drive to Fuller everyday!

Cheers,
Andrew

April 09, 2007 12:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Beck and Drew:

Have a GREAT time in the big Island. We will not try and give your daughter too many bad habit while you are away.

We love you!

Steve, Chris, J,Kat and critters

May 04, 2007 9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Time to Talk, by Robert Frost:

WHEN a friend calls to me from the road
And slows his horse to a meaning walk,
I don’t stand still and look around
On all the hills I haven’t hoed,
And shout from where I am, What is it?
No, not as there is a time to talk.
I thrust my hoe in the mellow ground,
Blade-end up and five feet tall,
And plod: I go up to the stone wall
For a friendly visit.

Be sure to drop your hoes (huh?) from time to time!

We are going to miss you guys way too much!

May 26, 2007 6:15 PM  
Blogger Mike Spreng said...

You must be the one that is helping Garrett? I recently moved to Phoenix to help Kevin Johnson (from Ref Cath) and possibly extend my education at a new REC seminary out here. Amazing how God can use the blogosphere to accomplish such connections!

June 02, 2007 8:34 AM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

Aaron: I'll be dropping my hoe and riding my hoss up to yer neck o' the woods in about a week and a half, and I hope to enjoy a pint or to with you. We miss everyone up there.

Mike: You got it. Photos of my first Sunday (last week) are forthcoming.

Cheers,
Andrew

June 03, 2007 12:31 AM  
Blogger erica said...

um, hello... where is the update? the pictures of karis?

June 05, 2007 9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

Listed on BlogShares