Thursday, October 19, 2006

Woah!

Have you ever thought that your death was eminent? I'm not talking about being chased by a big dog, or almost getting into a car accident; I'm talking about really thinking you are going to die, and having time to think about how you feel about it.

Well, I recently had that experience, and I must say that it was different than I thought it would be. For some reason I thought I would be calm, I was anything but. I could feel my heart pounding so furiously that I thought you could see it through my shirt (though my wife says that I looked calm). I thought I would be ready to accept death if that was what God had for me, I was not. I was telling a friend of mine that I was somewhat ashamed of myself for being scared and for not being ok with my mortality, and he reminded me that Jesus had those same feelings.

So what did I do? I held my wife's hand and prayed the Lord's prayer.

Anyway, it was indeed an interesting experience to think I was going to die, and not to be able to do anything about it. I hope not to have this experience again anytime soon. And it was a good reminder to me as well that death is our enemy. A defeated enemy, but our enemy nonetheless.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Miller said...

c'mon Drew you know you gotta give us more than that...

October 19, 2006 7:36 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

All in due time, Jeff. All in due time.

October 20, 2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger Jeff Miller said...

Patience has never been my strength...
Do you have any quick recommendations for some books on Christology, I have been doing some extra reading in this area of late. Talk to you soon.

October 23, 2006 4:18 AM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

I've been trying to get some time to explain everything; hopefully sometime today I'll have the whole story posted.

Christology:

A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith (Robert Reymond)

Christology of Early Jewish Christianity (Richard Longnecker)

Jesus and the Victory of God (NT Wright)

Christ of the Covenants/Prophets (O. Palmer Robertson)

Those are a few that come to mind. I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Cheers

October 24, 2006 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

Listed on BlogShares