Friday, June 16, 2006

Remembering Grandpa



Wednesday night I was out with some of my buddies when my brother called. I decided to let it go to voicemail, and I would just call him back later. When he called the second time, I knew it was important. I answered the phone, and a shaky voice on the other end of the line explained to me that Grandpa had died just minutes after getting home from the hospital (he had just gotten over a bad case of pneumonia). Rebekah and I raced over to my parents' house (my grandparents live with them) to help out however we could. Grandpa's body was still on the floor where the EMT's had furiously tried to save his life. It was a strange evening.

Last night, Bekah cooked for the family, and after dinner we spent many hours remembering Frank Leganger Richardson; beloved grandfathter, father, and husband. My mom has asked all of us grandkids to write a paragraph or two about him for the funeral on Monday, so I'll have a go with mine here.

There are three things that come to mind when I think about my grandpa: He was skillful, strong, and godly.

Whether he was working in the garden, or singing a tenor solo from Handel's Messiah, he was skillful. He worked hard at everything he did, and settled for nothing less than excellence. My dad once told me that Grandpa used to sing "Comfort Ye, My People," at about half the speed it should be sung, and would seem to sing forever on just one breath, and perfectly on pitch. I never saw my grandpa do anything half-heartedly; he was a skillful man who took pride in all his work, for he knew that his work in the Lord was not in vain.

If you've ever shaken hands with my grandpa (even if it was only last week), you know he was strong. My wife still has bruises on her back from the way he always slapped it when he hugged her. If he ever felt weak or in pain, none of us ever heard about it. I can remember a few short years ago when we visited him in New Jersey, he refused to let any of us carry our luggage up the stairs to the bedrooms. He picked up as many parcels as he could muster, and bolted up the stairs, making sure he never waivered. Was it difficult for him? I imagine so, but he wanted us to know that he was strong.

I believe you could examine every aspect of my grandpa's life, and you would come up with the same conclusion: he was above reproach. He faithfully loved his wife in word and deed, as well as his family. When he prayed over a simple meal, every word was intentional, every word mattered. They were the kind of prayers that made you want to shout, "Amen!" Everything he did in life was done to the glory of God. Grandpa is indeed one of the heroes of the faith, one in the great cloud of witnesses.

I saw his corruptible body on Wednesday night, and I'm so happy that I will see him again on the last day, when the perishable will have put on the imperishable, and the mortal will have put on immortality. Then will come about the saying that is written, "Death is swallowed up in victory. O Death, where is your victory? O Death, where is your sting?"

8 Comments:

Blogger me said...

I believe it was Father's Day a few years ago that we had the wonderful opportunity to hear you, your father, and your grandfather sing together. I forget what song it was, but I remember how great it sounded. I also remember you giving a similar testimony of your grandfather's life. What a wonderful gift you have knowing that he truly loves the Lord and has passed on such a great legacy.
We love you guys and wish that we could be there with you to honor your grandfather's life.

Doug & Anna

June 17, 2006 7:13 AM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

Thanks, Doug & Anna. It was actually one year ago tomorrow, and we sang "Guide Me, O Thou Great Jehovah."

Just a couple of weeks ago he was asking me if we could sing some duets at church; he had them all picked out. I guess he'll have to wait a while.

June 17, 2006 9:19 AM  
Blogger me said...

Wow, only one year ago! I guess a lot has happened since then.

We have also been blessed by the example of your mother who has faithfully cared for her in-laws. We thank God for your entire family and the inspiration they are to us to faithfully live out the command of honoring our fathers and mothers.

Oh yeah, Happy first Father's Day!

June 17, 2006 10:31 AM  
Blogger MikeknaJ said...

I don't remember if I ever met your grandpa. He doesn't look familiar in the pics, though i suppose I might've met him at a family function or your wedding.

He sounds like he was a great man. And I know he's left a strong legacy through the rest of your family and you.

God bless.

June 18, 2006 12:46 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

Thanks, Mike.

Still praying for your dad's health.

June 18, 2006 12:50 PM  
Blogger Vijay Swamidass said...

The few times I met him, I recall he was very friendly and outgoing and usually smiling. He seemed to have joy in his life, which was great to see.

June 18, 2006 8:37 PM  
Blogger Fr. Bill said...

Andrew,

Please accept my belated condolences. When this momentous departure from your family occurred, I had my nose firmly pressed against the Men at Worship seminar and didn't look anywhere else until late Monday.

You were and will continue to be greatly blessed by godly men who went ahead of you. It is a blessing I did not receive, and that, too, carries with it consequences (unhappy ones) for following generations.

It is our custom at St. Athanasius to pray each Sunday for the faithfully departed associated with our parish, their families, and friends, for a month after their departure. I have added Frank R. to this list. The prayers, in case you haven't looked at the Prayers of the People for the Eucharist lately go like this:

And we bless Thy Holy Name for all Thy saints departed this life in Thy faith and fear, [especially, names as appropriate], beseeching Thee to grant them continual growth in Thy love and service, and to give us grace so to follow their good examples, that with them we may be partakes of Thy heavenly kingdom."

June 21, 2006 5:24 AM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

Thank you so much, BQ. I will let the rest of my family know that St. Athanasius is praying for Grandpa.

And on another note, I'd like to hear how the Men at Worship conference went. Although I really wish I could have attended, it turns out I would have been missing a lot more than just the VBS set-up (mourning with grandma & family, sharing table fellowship and great conversations with friends and family from afar, funeral preparations, etc).

June 21, 2006 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

Listed on BlogShares