Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Rent Diet Skoffers

I know this topic has been overplayed, but I thought I'd add my two cents.

I just finished reading The Davinci Code, and honestly, I can't see what all the hubbub is about! The "facts" contained in that book are things that most children should be able to easily refute; and yet I hear stories of people losing their faith after reading the book/seeing the movie. Well, all I can say is, we (evangelicals) have made this bed...

In one of the comment sections from an earlier post, Brother Quotidian remarked that "there is a strata of the populace with a settled and (probably) untouchable hostility toward Christianity, who rejoice exultantly over something like the DVC, because they suppose that FINALLY someone is debunking this hideous things called Christianity."

This was my response to BQ:

I think it's interesting that at the end of the novel, Brown betrays this group. His conclusion is not that we need to debunk any religion, but rather that it's good for people to have faith (which, by his definition, is believing a fabrication), so let them believe it. It helps them sleep at night, and makes them better people. Anything goes, it's true for them, and that's all that really matters. Different strokes for different folks.

It's simply incredible to see the whole story moving toward the protagonists finally proving the Church is wrong, and the Priory is right, and once they find the truth, they realize that truth is what you make of it. Good news, everybody's right (or wrong)! So let's not spoil their fun by exposing that they're wrong; that would be mean... and a powerplay... and very machiavellian...

Whatever.

7 Comments:

Blogger MikeknaJ said...

Interested in seeing what your thoughts on the movie are. It was pretty faithful to the book - only slightly changing Langdon's stance at the start, but he ends up in the same place at the end.

The "facts" contained in that book are thinks that most children should be able to easily refute

Would you have been able to refute them as a child? I wouldn't have. With my parents help, maybe, but for those who don't have those kinds of people or resources to fall back on it's a bit more tedious.

May 24, 2006 8:03 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

Thanks, Mike.

I honestly don't know whether or not you and I would have been able to refute many of those facts (with the help of our parents, pastors, and teachers), but I'll admit that I should have qualified this statement. I should have made it more clear that I believe most children should be able to refute them. Unfortunately, most children (and adults for that matter) cannot. As I stated, we've made this bed...

Do you see what I'm getting at?

And thanks for posting! Sorry McFee couldn't make your night tonight.

Cheers

May 24, 2006 11:53 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

BTW Mike, I'll let you know my thoughts on the movie as soon as I see it.

May 24, 2006 11:57 PM  
Blogger Fr. Bill said...

As I stated, we've made this bed...

Agreed. And therein lies the opportunity the DVC provides to fill in some gaps that have long been deliberately left blank by broadly evangelical Christianity, not to mention the Wal-mart brands of the faith.

Better late than never. And for some, the DVC will bless them by way of prodding them off their beds of spritual ease, so that they crack a simple book of church history. Best of all, of course, would be for broadly evangelical Christian congregations to implement and carry through a systematic teaching of Church history, development of doctrine, and the like. It's the absence of that kind of thing which allows Dan Brown to make his fairy tales look credible. It has encouraged me to see a wealth of internet resources being generated to engage the basic premises of the DVC.

On the other hand, a saw a media report last night, speculating that the financial success of the DVC is more than enough to warrant a stampede of Brownesque rewrites of history. Someone out there is already in production with a movie on the Virgin Mary, told from a mondern feminist angle.

bq

May 25, 2006 5:17 AM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

You nailed my thoughts, BQ!

I was driving to work this morning, and saw a sign for a DVC seminar at a church, and the point you just made hit me square between the eyes. I was going to write a post about the good that is coming of all this: People realize they need to know why they believe what they believe!

I think you should write a post making these same two points, on the B & B. You're much more lucid and eloquent than I.

BTW, let me know how the DVC seminars in Waxahachie go.

Cheers

May 25, 2006 11:29 AM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

Jamey: sounds good to me. I emailed you yesterday; let me know if you didn't get my email, and I'll try again.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Andrew

May 27, 2006 12:27 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

I'm wondering if everyone got my little joke in the title of this post. Anybody care to explain it?

June 08, 2006 9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

Listed on BlogShares