Thursday, April 20, 2006

The Bible as Grand Narrative

I have read the Bible in its entirety, although I confess to knowing it less than I ought. Nonetheless, one of the joys of being a pastor is the opportunity it provides me to deeply study God’s Word on a daily basis with the end not only of growing personally, but also of equipping others in their calling to become disciplined followers of Jesus Christ.

As the pastor of Children’s Ministries, I have had the opportunity over the past few years to lead the first through sixth graders through much of the Old Testament, and we will soon be turning our attention to the New Testament. My desire has been to help the children not only understand the major themes of the Bible, but to also see it as one grand narrative of God’s plan for his creation. Studying God’s Word in this way enables us to see where we fit in this story, and thus how we can glorify God by fulfilling our task as Christ-followers.

The scriptures are my foundation and presupposition; my life is molded by its words; my actions are ordered by its commands; my decisions are shaped by its wisdom.

What do you think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

Listed on BlogShares