Monday, January 09, 2006

Wilson on Wright on Egalitarianism













In September of 2004, N.T. Wright presented a paper entitled "Women 's Service in the Church: The Biblical Basis," which you can read in its entirety here. Recently Doug Wilson reviewed this paper (which you can take a look at by clicking here) on his blog, and I think that it as well is worth a read. I know many people have a problem with one or both of these men, but I think this review by Wilson is a great example of how good Christian men can charitably disagree, while appreciating what each other has to offer. Let me know what you think of both.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're gonna make me read the articles myself? I thought a blog was supposed to summarize and condense not assign me homework.

January 09, 2006 2:45 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

I'm basically summarizing Wilson's blog which is a summary of Wright's paper. this explains why it's so short- a summary of a summary. Perhaps if you were to write a summary of my summary you could simply write "stinks," and that would suffice.

Anyway, stop complaining and get to your homework!

January 09, 2006 4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stinks

January 09, 2006 7:55 PM  
Blogger Vijay Swamidass said...

Still reading...

January 10, 2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Vijay Swamidass said...

I'm not a Greek expert (or amateur for that matter), but NT Wright should be in the Olympics for this gymnastic display on 1 Timothy 2:12:

"I’m not saying that women should teach men, or try to dictate to them; they should be left undisturbed. " - NT Wright

vs.

"But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet." - NASB

Either NT Wright has found something brand new or the rest of the translators have missed the boat completely.

Its also not clear to me that 1 Cor 11:1-16 is talking about the general assembly. Verse 18 begins "For, in the first place, when you come together as a church,..."
Otherwise, if women are explicitly forbidden from speaking in the church in 1 Cor 14, and permitted to speak (in the same sense) in the church in 1 Cor 11, we are bordering on contradiction.

You can probably turn these arguments into swiss cheese - please fire away.

January 14, 2006 12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

Listed on BlogShares