Friday, January 06, 2006

What's in a Name?

Many of you have probably seen at the bottom of my posts: "posted by drewdog..." and wondered why my screen name is Drewdog. Perhaps if you've never met me, you think that I'm trying to be hip, or cool, or real, or whatever they call it these days. If you know me, then you know this is fo' shizzle not the case. So here's the real reason: I have always been called (as you likely have as well) many different nicknames by different freinds in my life. This is intriguing to me, and I think sometimes it says a little about the nicknamer, and a little about the nicknamee. Anyway, a number of years ago, some of my freinds would affectionately call me Drewdog, and when I began using the internet and had to enter usernames, I couldn't think of anything so I used "Drewdog." Here is a list of other nicknames people have thought up for me over the years:

Andruja- Eli Yervez
Drewbert- Mike Warner
Drewsky- Sarah Harrison
Dreweena- Rob Shelton
Drizzle- Steve Jones (could also be Andrizzle)
Andy- My brother, Chris
Shmoopy- My wife (it's a joke, get over it!)
Uncle Drool- Emily & Erica Shelton (just look at my baby pics or my pillow to see why)

My parents had a knack for giving nicknames to us children growing up: Alissa was Alley Cat (Her name is Alissa Catherine, and she hated this nickname), I was Andy Pandy, Amy was Amy T. Wamy (or just Amy-Wamy for short), and Chris was Christophopher-dopher.

That's all I have to say about that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that the list of nicknames you gave was only representative but there were some pretty glaring omissions. What about Drizzle?...or Sugar Magnolia?...or Lovey Bumpers?

January 06, 2006 8:12 PM  
Blogger DrewDog said...

I'll add Drizzle to the list, but we specifically agreed to keep Sugar Magnolia and Lovey Bumpers to ourselves. I hope no one reads these comments...

January 07, 2006 11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

Listed on BlogShares